"Before you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars, points of light and reason. ...And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason, for anything."

~ Edward Cullen

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Review: Catch of the Day


Title: Catch of the Day
Author: Kristan Higgins
Pages: 377
Challenges: Women Challenge, Mount TBR, Contemporary Romance, Animal Challenge
Rating: 5/5

Summary from Goodreads:

What's the market price on a decent guy these days?

Maggie Beaumont's luck is about to change. Sure, she's known for her bad romantic choices—her former boyfriend broke up with her by bringing his new girlfriend home for a visit. And then there was the crush she had on a gorgeous young Irishman, who turned out to be Father Tim, the parish's new priest.

But romantic salvation has arrived in the form of handsome, if surly, fisherman Malone. It turns out there's a heart of gold underneath his barnacle-clad exterior. Will this catch of the day turn into the dish of a lifetime?


It's been a long time since I've picked up a Kristan Higgins novel.  At least three years.  And after finishing, Catch of the Day, I'm kicking myself for waiting around as long as I did.  I'm so glad I have a few more of her books awaiting for me on the TBR pile this year!

One of the best things about Higgans books are her characters.  Catch of the Day was definitely no exception to this!  There wasn't a single character in this book that I didn't absolutely fall in love with, especially the main character Maggie.  Maggie is a small town diner owner, looking for love in a very small, very quaint, Northern Maine fishing village.  Right now, her best friend is her dog Colonel, who has been with her since her first huge breakup. 

Maggie has a huge crush, on the town priest, and she doesn't think that she'll ever get over him.  To help, Father Tim sets Maggie up on a number of blind dates, each more amusing than the last.  Things are looking doubtful, until one night, Maggie sees Malone, the local lobsterman in a different light.  And that's when things get really good!

I just can't say enough good things about this book.  Kristan Higgins writes a good strong plot.  Gideon's Cove is a wonderful place, and her writing completely emerges you in the story.  I found myself reading a few quick pages whenever I had a chance, and I hated putting this one down to go to bed.  If it wasn't for these pregnancy hormones, I probably would have pulled an all nighter to get it finished!  I smiled, I cried, and I laughed as I moved through the pages of this book, and chapter by chapter I found myself falling in love with Maggie, Malone, and Joe's Diner. 

I can't wait to read more of Kristan Higgins this year, and I'm looking forward to checking out her whole back list.  Plus, I hope someday, she'll return to Gideon's Cove and give us just a sneak peak on what is going on in the lives of Maggie and Malone!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails